The place owes its name to the noble Rabangar, who built a castle on the steep rock above the Simmerbach in the 10th century. In 1072, a castle chapel was consecrated. Count Berthold and his wife Hedwig founded an Augustinian canonry two years later, which existed until 1566. Subsequently, the rich estate came under Palatine administration. The church has been a Catholic parish since 1699.
In 1920, missionaries of the Holy Family took over the monastery buildings and established a theological college. The double-towered westwork, 42 meters high, with numerous reliefs and sculptures has survived the storms of time from the medieval monastery complex. In contrast, the nave burned down repeatedly. The high altar with the crucifixion group dates from 1722, and the magnificent organ was created in the first half of the 18th century.
Guided tours can be requested through the cathedral construction association. Email: info@hunsruecker-dombauverein.de, Tel. 06761 967537-0